Thursday, January 6, 2011

The lasting things & recipe for Fear Food: Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

 What lasts in this life? 

This morning I am reading in II Corinthians 4. It is definitely a clear outline of what lasts in this life and what we will have in the future.

Verses 16-18 say: "16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
 17For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
 18While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."



Well this just pretty much blasts away any reason to be worried about outward appearances. Really. Being concerned with my looks can never stand up to these verses.


Verse 16 really hits home for me. I am trying to be perfect and beautiful on the outside but it is really to no avail. Someday I am going to get all wrinkly, have saggy boobs, and a rollie pollie tummy. Someday I hope to have kids. That is something that affects how I will look too. HELLO stretch marks! But that's okay. The important thing is that the inward man is renewed day by day. DAY BY DAY. We are constantly renewed and encouraged and loved by the Lord. And that is the kind of beauty that I should be focusing on and striving to perfect. I love verse 17. Its so real and honest. There is a more important and real things that wait for us in heaven. We get to spend eternity with our Lord and Savior. We should be preparing, looking forward to, and thinking on that great day when we enter heaven to spend eternity with Him. Verse 18 is awesome. I could never say it better. Just read it a couple times and let it sink in for you. 


So last night I made one of my biggest fear foods for dinner. Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo. Hello fat and calories and carbs and everything else bad for you! But I did it! I made it and I ate it. Here is the recipe (I altered it a bit)


 (not my picture....I don't have a camera :( but it looked like this kind of ! hahah! Source)
Fear Food: Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Serves 6 (maybe even some leftovers)
16 oz Fettuccine noodles
1/2 cup butter (really not needed...I would omit this and just saute' the onions and garlic in a TBS. of olive oil)
1/4 cup diced onions
1 TBS. minced garlic
Cooked and Peeled Shrimp (up to you on the amount)
1 cup half and half (you could really just use all milk)
1/2 cup milk
4 egg yolks (if you just use milk I would add an extra yolk to thicken it up more)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 TBS. fresh chopped parsley
S & P to taste


Boil big pot of water and throw in pasta and a little salt. Stir occasionally for about  11 minutes. Meanwhile, saute' diced onions in butter on medium heat until translucent. Add minced garlic and saute' about a minute. Cook shrimp according to package instructions. Peel it and slice them into quarters.  Add shrimp to mixture and set aside. Check on that pasta. DON'T overcook pasta! Major crime! Add a bit of olive oil to pasta once cooked and stir. Add milk and half and half to a little pot and start heating on low. Get those egg yolks scrambled and pour in a little of that warm milk to temper them. Once they are a little warm add them to the milk mixture. Stir in grated parmesan cheese. Turn up heat to medium low but do not let the alfredo sauce boil. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes until it is all thick and creamy. Add in some pepper and salt (not too much). Add in shrimp mixture and sprinkle the parsley on top. Serve and enjoy!


I have not had alfredo in ....a loooooong time. It was mighty tasty. Mighty scary too! But I did it. I did not eat more than one serving though because dairy really bothers my tum tum. Especially that much. I took two digestive enzymes to help my tummy but I still ended up feeling sick for the rest of the night. Pooo. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome you were able to overcome a fear food yesterday! That is just one step closer!!

Thanks for the bible versus! I have been feeling a little down about my looks lately so that helped!

Deborah said...

Thanks! It is one step closer! :D You are very welcome! I am glad that they helped!